Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Continuing my GAME Plan



As I continue to develop my GAME plan, it is important that I take some things into account to make sure I am on a path toward success. First, I must decide what resources I will need to carry out my goal of improving Standard 1d and Standard 5b of the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) National Education Standards for Teacher (NETS-T) (2008). For Standard 1d, I am going to communicate and collaborate with two ELL teachers that I have worked with in the past. Our discussions will occur monthly throughout the entire school year to improve our implementation of technology within our classrooms. For this goal, we will be communicating via e-mail and/or FaceTime. Therefore, I will need access to a computer or cellphone that has the capability to communicate through those means. I will also need a journal to write notes and reflect upon the information we discuss and the technology tools we utilize in our classrooms. For Standard 5b, I am going to help develop the technology skills of my colleagues by sharing technology tools monthly in our Professional Learning Community (PLC) meetings. The resources I will need for this are a computer with internet access and whatever technology tool I plan on sharing with my colleagues.    

Another necessary component to making my plan work is to determine if I need any additional information as the process begins. The only information that I can think of that would be beneficial at this point would be what technology tools both the ELL teachers I will be working with and my colleagues have used in the past. Knowing this would help me to be able to share and discuss new tools that have not been incorporated previously. This would make the process much more effective because we would not waste our time on technology tools that are already well known.

I have already been able to take some small steps for the implementation of my GAME plan. For my ELL collaboration, I have contacted the two teachers, and we have set up a schedule for communicating during the first semester of this upcoming school year. We will begin our correspondence the first week of each month that school is in session. We will proceed to talk throughout that week to discuss technology tools, their possible applications within our classrooms, and how each tool worked after we have incorporated them. Each new tool will be utilized at some point during the next three weeks of each month if possible. This process will continue throughout the entire school year, unless we determine that an adjustment needs to be made. For my goal to help others develop their technology skills, I have planned out a schedule of tools that I would like to share with my colleagues during the first couple months of school. I am going to first introduce VoiceThread because I feel that it can be hugely effective in both English content classes and Foreign Language classes. Next, I will demonstrate how I have used blogs in my ELL classroom. From there I will continue to present a new tool monthly. I am excited to see how my classroom and the classrooms of others will be impacted throughout the school year as a result of my GAME plan. I am hoping for greater student progress because technology allows teachers to reach all students (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009).

References

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating technology across the content areas: Meeting students' needs with technology, part 1. Baltimore, MD: Author.

5 comments:

  1. Amy,
    The collaboration and communication among ELL teachers is going to lead you to your goal. I admire the professional relationship you have with these teachers; everyone seems to be focused and willing to go above and beyond to continue professional growth. The schedule that you are establishing will keep everyone on the same page because I assume everyone is incorporating the same tool at the same time. It will be interesting to see the results, concerns, and changes that will occur.
    One goal for this year is to add more technology. This summer I have been trying to come up with technology for each quarter that will fit and support my content. I do not want to use technology just to say I have used it. I have no experience with Voice threads. What are some examples of activities you might use for a Voice thread? How is it similar or different from a blog? Is there a cost?
    Thanks again for the motivating post and great ideas.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay,

      VoiceThread is a free service. Through it, you can create presentations that include students' recorded voices, text, pictures, video, animation, and more. It is awesome. I have used it instead of assigning my ELL students oral presentations. They loved it because they had the opportunity to share their knowledge in a less threatening way than orally presenting. They were able to re-record if they had an error and were able to get really creative. I absolutely love VoiceThread and would highly recommend it. If you go to www.voicethread.com there are many videos posted that explain how to use it and the types of things you can do. I hope you find it as useful as I do.

      Thanks,
      Amy

      Delete
  2. Hi Amy,

    I love that you intend to use the technology tools throughout the year if at all possible, just because it is so true that we often need a lot of time to become familiar with the tools, experiment with them, make mistakes with them, have successes, etc. I hadn't really thought about that before, but it makes sense to commit to the stuff we're hoping to implement in our classrooms for at least a long enough period of time to accomplish those things.

    It's also great that you will be able to communicate with two ELL teacher colleagues regularly. That is something I am also hoping to do with other German teachers from the AATG.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy!

    I think that sharing your technology skills in a Professional Learning Community is a wonderful way to both improve and reflect upon your own practices. Collaboration is essential to both personal and professional growth as educators. When planning lessons, Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) recommend “…talk[ing] to our friends or colleagues, visit the local library or museum, search for information online, or call a related helpline” (p. 37). No matter what we are planning, teaching, or struggling with, outside partnerships help to better these situations. Do you think other teachers would be willing to share technology skills with you? I’ve noticed in my PLCs that it is usually the same teachers who share ideas and strategies. What do you think we can do to change this trend? Thanks for your feedback!

    Resources:

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,

      I agree that it tends to be a select few that share ideas and strategies within the teaching world. I don't think this is due to a lack of ideas and strategies to share, but rather not feeling confident to share at times. I am hoping that within a small PLC group, all the teachers involved will feel comfortable and willing to contribute their experiences with technology so that we can all grow and become better teachers.

      Thanks,
      Amy

      Delete