Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Looking at 21st Century Skills


Throughout the past couple of days, I have spent some time exploring the website and a report presented by the Partnership for 21st Century Skills which is “a national organization that advocates for 21st century readiness for every student” (Partnership for 21st Century Skills, n.d.). The business and everyday world around us is constantly changing due in a large part to advancing technology. According to the Partnership for 21st Century Skills, “today’s education system faces irrelevance unless we bridge the gap between how students live and how they learn” (n.d.). This organization is working with states and schools on bridging that gap by focusing on six critical elements. These six elements are: (1) emphasizing core subjects; (2) emphasizing the learning of information, communication, thinking, problem solving, interpersonal, and self-directional skills; (3) using 21st century tools to develop learning skills; (4) teaching and learning in a 21st century context; (5) teaching and learning the 21st century content of global awareness and financial, economic, business, and civic literacy; and (6) using 21st century assessments that measure 21st century skills (Partnership for 21st Century Skills, n.d.). The hope is that if schools address these six elements appropriately our students will be prepared for the world they will enter after high school.

During my research, I found that my beliefs are aligned with the organization’s mission and goals. I completely agree that our students need to develop the appropriate skills to enable them to be successful in the future and competitive in the workforce. When our students graduate and begin looking for jobs, they are going to have to compete globally and against machines (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010b). It is essential that we as educators realize this and prepare our students in the best manner possible. I feel that the six elements listed above can help our students learn what they really need to know in their futures. The Partnership for 21st Century Skills is aligned with the No Child Left Behind mandates and the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) skills which I find important. We are becoming less competitive in our STEM skills globally and this needs to change (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010a). Another aspect of the site and organization that I like is the fact that they emphasize collaboration and professional development. I believe that those are two key factors in the growth of any educator or educational system. Overall, the information provided by the Partnership for 21st Century Skills is great because it explains its goals and mission, describes why and how it is beneficial and needed, and provides steps and resources for people, schools, and states to follow to begin implementing these skills into curriculum. I found all of the information to be helpful in understanding the importance and necessity of incorporating 21st century skills into our classrooms.

Looking at this information makes me think about the implications it presents for my students and for me as a teacher. I know that I am going to make a huge effort to provide opportunities for my students to develop the skills they will need in the future to be successful. Learning more about the Partnership for 21st Century Skills has validated the importance of integrating more meaningful and innovative technology into my classroom. I truly feel that doing so will aid in my students’ development of the skills they need. There truly can be nothing greater professionally than to really feel that your students are receiving the most relevant, meaningful, and beneficial education possible. I am working hard to ensure that I can provide this type of education for my students.    


Resources


Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2010b). The changing work environment, part 2. [Video webcast]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_2819318_1%26url%3D

Partnership for 21st Century Skills. (n.d.). A report and mile guide for 21st century skills. Washington DC: Author. Retrieved from http://www.p21.org/storage/documents/P21_Report.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    I was just wondering if you have access to the technology that would be needed to make your students learning beneficial. If so, do you have any ideas as to assist schools where this is not the case? What about schools that are continuing to cut funding? How are they expected to meet these practical and needed goals for living in society?

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have worked at schools both where I have had the access to technology that I needed and where I have not. When I have found myself in a situation where I have not had the access I needed, I have tried to be creative with how I have utilized technology in my classroom. For example, almost all of my students have cell phones. In the past, I have had students use their cell phones for various lessons and activities. To avoid having students without cell phones feeling singled out, I have created groups where only one cell phone is used. I know it is not always easy, but I do believe if we are creative we can incorporate technology into our classrooms in beneficial ways despite budget cuts and lack of resources.

    ReplyDelete